Anyone who knows me can tell you about two very important characteristics I have: I like lists and I’m all about finding fun new experiences. Put those things together and I often have a ton of different lists going on in the form of vision boards. Consider Exhibit A:
This is something new I’m trying. It’s a blown-up version of an adult coloring page and each enclosed space is something I want to do this year. It has a ride range of items on it, from reading fun (not work-related) books, going to the beach, taking vacations, etc. Every time I do something on the board, it gets colored in. I have REALLY loved this board so far.
I tell you all this so you’ll understand (and maybe laugh) about my next idea. You hear about method actors? Well I love the thought of being a method writer; of experiencing the situations I’ll put my characters in so I can write about them more authentically.
So I’ve come up with an idea: A Series of Intriguing Events. This will be a dynamic list here, on my blog, of different adventures I want to have. The list will be created from experiences I already know my characters will have, plus unique/fun things that I or you (yes, I’m taking suggestions) come up with, which may serve as inspiration for future books.
The best part: I get to share each of these adventures with you! Each one will be a future post so you can get your giggles in by reading what I go through.
Without further ado, here are the ideas I have so far:
- Birthday at a drag dinner show. This one will be happening quickly – tomorrow, in fact. Twist: I’ll wear a wig to “be” someone else – I might think of a different twist for this one still.
- Make homemade dog treats. Twist: Bring my husband along to hand these out to shelter dogs (this is a twist because my husband has a history of going dog-crazy like woman sometimes go baby-crazy).
- Mini road trip. Twist: There can’t be any set plans for where I go/stop.
- Karaoke. This doesn’t need any more twist because it scares the crap out of me. 😝
- Visit a trampoline place to have some bouncy fun. Twist: Still thinking on this one too.
- Drive a race car. Twist: Still needed.
- Have a picnic and fly a kite. Twist: I have to make the lite myself.
These are the first events that come to mind based on books I’m currently writing. The “twist” piece is important because I figure adding a different element to the activities will allow me to get a slightly different perspective than just my own. For example, maybe adding the wig to the drag show one will give me the perspective of:
- Someone who wants to be someone else
- Someone who’s hiding from the law
- Someone who’s lost their hair due to chemo treatments
- My poor husband who’s already said (jokingly) that he won’t be sitting with me
More ideas will be added to this post as I come up with them. In the meantime, I’d love to hear your suggestions! Are there any adventures I should add to list? Twists I should add or consider for the activities that are already listed?
Share your ideas in the comments below. I can’t wait to hear them! 😄