The last few months have been very interesting. While I have been writing all my life, it’s only recently that I decided to actively pursue self-publishing as a career. As a result, I’ve been gobbling up as much information as I can find on the subject. So far, there’s one piece of advice I’ve come across that I find particularly intriguing – that it’s best to have at least three books fully written before I self-publish my first one.
As you may imagine, I agonize over this suggestion for a number of reasons:
- Pure impatience. With my mind made up and my heart set on publishing, it’s difficult to imagine all that WAITING.
- Time to write. I work a full-time job and go to school so finding the time to get one book written seems challenging, much less three.
- Anticipation with no payout. Obviously three books takes longer to write than one. With that extended timeline, I hesitate to say my first book is “coming soon” when that could still be a year away.
All worries aside, I’ve decided to trust in the wisdom of those who have come before me. To help with the waiting, I’m considering turning my first book into a freebie that will be offered here, to my subscribers. Then, at least people will have something to read while I plug away at my other books.
Also, I’ve decided that I need to develop a true writing schedule for each book. With that much work to do, I’ve got to make a plan and stick with it, otherwise there’s no telling how long these stories will take!
- 1 day to write my character details
- 1 day to write my basic story outline
- 1 day to flesh out the full storyline
- 2 months to write the book (that’s roughly 1500 words/day)
- 1 month to edit the entire project
I’m sure for some writers that seems like a long time and for others it seems short. To be honest, I find the challenge to be intimidating but exciting at the same time.
To keep myself on track, I’m going to post updates both here and on my Facebook page. I’ve been under the weather the last few days so I’ll give myself the week to rest and then it’s game on April 1st!
Be sure to Follow my blog to see how it goes and stay up to date on that first freebie book!